Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Daily 5

I feel more like a blog stalker than a blogger lately.
I've been reading The Daily 5, but then when it comes time to link up I get lost in OPP (other people's posts), and FORGET ABOUT IT if I hop on over to a Daily 5 Pinterest board, I get lost for hours.

Any...ways... we adopted the Common Core so I was planning to meet my Kinder Team this summer and plan our units, but I'm moving on up to First Grade.  I mentioned the Daily 5 book study online, so we're planning some D5 things out together.  
(Click the pic below, way below;) if you'd like a copy of a checklist we put together).


1. Establish a gathering place for brain and body breaks.
I've always had a whole group carpet area, but I've got my eye on one of these and it would incorporate my love for polka dots.  I don't call it anything special, but we sing a cute song about going to the carpet.
2. Developing the concept of "good fit" books 
I love the concept of using Goldilocks and the 3 bears, (especially because we have it readily available in Spanish).  Thank you Tammy for your freebie!  I'm going to work on one in Spanish for my teammates. 

3. Create anchor charts with students 
I love creating anchor charts with my students.  I like to have them visible around our whole group area where we discuss strategies, phonics, etc.  After we work on a new chart, I would usually try to place it up high on my teaching wall/carpet area bulletin board so that we can easily make references it.

4. Short, repeated intervals of independent practice and setting up book boxes 
I love the book boxes from IKEA!  They're cheap enough that I wouldn't mind replacing every year, the kids can decorate them, and did I mention they're cheap?  I love Kindergarten, Kindergarten, she has some really cute ideas, and I love how she put kids pix on the boxes, so Kinder friendly and just plain adorable!

5. Calm Signals and check in procedures
I've used Whole Brain Teaching class signals and have loved them.  But I don't think it would be as calm as using a xylophone or chimes.  As far as check in procedures I think I'm going to do some blog stalking and get some ideas. :)

6. Using the correct model/incorrect model approach for demonstrating appropriate behaviors.
I absolutely love the idea of stopping when I see an inappropriate behavior so that students are not practicing wrong, practice makes permanent.  


And now for your freebie, hope you can use :)

10 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and am your newest follower! I used to teach in an immersion program (the English portion). ;)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    Come join my linky party and 300 follower giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have read about the daily five too, i like the idea for 3rd grade as well. I look forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newest follower. Thanks for the D5 stuff in Spanish. Beth - 1st Grade Dual Language teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great plans and I love your printables (just pinned them)! You should check out this bilingual blog from today with more Daily 5 in Spanish: http://multilingualmultiage.blogspot.com/2012/06/dual-daily-five-i-pick-en-espanol.html
    I LOVE it when bilingual teachers blog! :)
    www.iteachduallanguage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gave you an award! Come by and check it out!

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this chart! I tried to print it, but the site that it is on is telling me that I need to pay for a membership to be able to print it. Do you know if there is any way of avoiding this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it too - but I am not able to print it either without paying on that site. Is there anyway you could send it to me?

    melaniejarrett@gmail.com

    Thanks so much!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This awesome paper is not coming up as a freebie! HELP!!!!
    mfoppe@craneschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. FOUND IT on your newer post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete